Sunday, July 15, 2007

My affair with Maths

Gotcha..I dont have an affair with maths, neither the maths teacher nor that pretty chic at Farmfoods who does her maths with my purchases using the teller machine.

As far as I remember, my history with maths was always the color red, the color that arts use to describe heart shapes or love. Mine on the contrary is always red crosses and losing hair. The number always involve somewhere in between 0 to 4 and the 2 digits combination thereof.

I have always flunked my maths test since the dawn of time until I graduated an miraculously became an Engineer. However, there are only 5 events worth to talk about in my passages of math history. 2 of them would raised eyebrows on how I did it without use of "toyol".

Penilaian Darjah 5 I got a B for maths. The result surprised my tuition teacher who was also my neighbor. Honestly I only know how to do"bahagi panjang" (long divisions) just 2 months before the exam.

SRP I got a credit 3 for my maths. I certainly don't remember any "blue" marks on my mid or year end exam record.

SPM I got a credit 3 for my Modern Maths paper which was rather surprising but got a 9 for my additional maths instead. Yeah..a 9 and am proud of it. You know when u r sure that u get an A for that favorite exam paper u sit for, I was sure as hell I got a 9 even before I even begin to write my name on the sheets.
My maths teacher who happens to be the same teacher for both papers and most outrageously for both form 4 and form 5 could not be blame coz I was asking for it all along. He was tired of trying to teach me and twice he chased me out of his class for not paying attention. The only victim to my stupidness was my dad coz I think he spend RM 50 each month on my tuition but I only had a 9 to bring home.

My 2nd year Diploma in ITM earned me 2 respectable marks for Maths. Once a B+ during my third semester and A- during my fourth semester. I would like to give the credit to both my lecturers who finally made maths interesting for me but most importantly I would pat myself on the back for slogging the extra hours just to proof to myself that I can do it. After 13 years of education I finally realize maths ain't that hard.

So thats that, my history of maths. I don't think I would like to go thru it again. If my kids would ever asked me to help with their homeworks in the future, I would quietly slipped thru the back door and leave it to my lovely wife. Haha.

The following pictures are forwarded by my friend and no its not one of my paper coz I dont think I was that stupid and funny at the same time. Enjoy.."Answers by desperate students in exams"










No comments: