Saturday, November 03, 2007

My leisure pursuit

To kill the time for remaining 50days of isolation, I figured I had to acquire some new skills or hobby. The fad here now is either Fishing or Cooking. After some consideration of my own self and weighing my own self expectation of what I really want to do, I figure cooking is the most reasonable activity I could partake and really enjoy the outcome.

So, inspired by an entrepreneur friend Nizam who owned a bakery, Z who cooks really well in the absence of ingredients, Zul my mentor and Lan who just caught the masak-masak fever, I figure I wouldn't mind playing masak-masak myself.

So after my daily dose of Malaysian newspaper and all its crap monkey stories of stupid minister and their cronies, I am now oggling at websites for recipe and cooking. Links to good sites are added on the side of this page.

I remembered during my student days, I was subjected to draconian rules of cooking roster. Then I had to cook for three people living in our apartment and being a poor cook with no imagination whatsoever, I normally cook either lamb kurma or lamb halia or chicken curry. Sometime when there were guest expected, I would cook nasi Ayam. The oil from frying the ayam (residual of kicap and secret marinate ingredient) would be kept for month on end at times till the next unsuspecting guest comes around..hehehe. Alhamdulillah nobody suffered or was killed by it.. myself included.

Today, after seeing Lan tried Mamafami recipe for roti canai for 3 times with improving results, I decided to give it a shot. The dough after 30 minutes of kneading doesn't look quite right just yet but hopefully after the "menebar" tutorial tonight, it would jadi something like roti canai la. If it doesn't work, I would try it again for I am dedicating this to Nuaim whos one of his favorite food is roti canai.
13 balls of dough coated in ghee ready for the "menebar" stage scheduled in 8 hours...

No comments: