Thursday, October 25, 2007

Maiden Flight

Today in history, tercatitlah dalam lipatan sejarah the first commercial flight for the long awaited A380, the biggest jumbo jet in the sky. In the yahoo news it was reported that passengers eager to be part of the first flight paid between $500 to $100k for tickets. With that much money, the mood aboard the plane was a hell of a PARTY with free flow of champagne and beers all the way to Sydney.

On the contrary, I was aboard the Emirates on the 25th arriving to 40 degrees sun baked Khartoum after a whirlwind of RnR break. The arrival was as usual greeted by the sullen looking immigration who made you wait like an hour in line just to get your passport stamped! The flight was not so bad given that Emirates had just rolled out their new in-flight menu. I had lobster while catching up a few movies.

Than the following day, I had to take the "Budget" airline Nova Air from Khartoum to Port Sudan. The schedule as usual is 1 hour or more late than prescribed. But Alhamdulillah I manged to arrived at my destination in one piece.

Aboard the 1 hour flight as usual it is customary that they feed you with tonnes of breads and a choice of Mirinda or Pepsi and after which would be concluded with either coffee or "chai" whichever tickles your taste buds. As you can see in the picture, the remaining plastic containers of proof i had stuffed myself with. The breads and cakes i mean..
Of course, local flights here are driven by different values and standards. But for one thing I would appreciate given the standards and condition of the refurbished plane, the pilot or the steward/ess would recite the Doa Musaffir before taking off. It always help to calm my nerves, although the cramp seats, smell and noise inside the cabin would somehow unnerve any foreign travelers aboard. Mind you, Ive seen an old lady who was sitting across the aisle from me spitting inside the plane.

I wonder if anyone on board the A380 while enjoying their luxury flight, gave an ounce of thought about the sufferings of fellow traveler in other parts of the world at that time?

I recalled during the Hajj flight, the Ustaz would remind the pilgrims aboard the etiquette of flying. It was a timely advise, as I am sure that there are plenty of other pilgrims who have never set foot on a plane before, they would be at lost on how to behave themselves. The Ustaz mention that he once experience aboard a Hajj flight that some people managed to wet the cabin toilet until the whole plane was flooding. Let alone the smell! Maybe they thought that they can take shower in the plane or worst, wash like we normally do after berak. Hehehe. Alhamdulillah, so far here in Sudan, no one behave like that yet, although I wouldn't place my bet. Hehehe.

Here, i wish to also record Nu'man's maiden flight with dad and bro in tow. I would say it was one of my memorable journey with my 2 sons aboard the MAS flight KUL-AOR. They made an enjoyable and entertaining fellow passenger. In fact, the 2 yo lass sitting across the aisle from us was screaming for attention from both my sons. Whenever, Nu'man or Nuaim look at her she would smile in glee and waving and urging them to come closer. But dad, concern and a wee bit shy of the Mother in Purdah, would not really let them cross to the other side. hehehe.

Anyway, I would look forward to be traveling with my sons and daughter again in the near future, InsyaAllah.
Nuaim & Nu'man enjoying the scene from inside the ERL.Restless travelers at the Boarding Hall. Another minute, they were seen running up and down the hall. Nu'man even tries to escape from the hall twice as he was tempted by the walkalator just outside .
Nu'man playing with the table.
Nuaim enjoying his dose of complimentary kacang. Being a seasoned "flight participant", this was his second solo with ol' dad.

4 comments:

Dian said...

Ya Allah, anak-anakku! Kecik2 dah mengorat anak dara orang ye? Ke anak dara tu yang mengorat 2 jejaka idaman Malaya ni?

aripsa said...

I wouldn't say pandai mengurat la, but they sure have their charm lah..

Plus, the lil' girl is also the daughter of Ustaz Hafiz who I pay my zakat to.. The mother an Arab, no wonder she wore Purdah. Anak dia pon comel macam anak Arab..

Remind me to merisik for the girl in 15 years time..

Dian said...

15 years? Anak kita baru habis SPM by then. Macam mana nak sara hidup? Maybe 25 years more like it.
Or are you planning to merisik for someone else, hmmm?

aripsa said...

Hmm, ur right my math is bad..i was only thinking about the girl's age..i forgot how old my son would be then

Anyway anak ustaz kan laku cepat, so kena pinang cepat2 la..hehehe