Thursday, November 22, 2007

Manjaria lagi

Manjaria=makan=eat
Probably Sudanese slang for eat. In Arabic actual word for eat is 'ukul' أكل
Tak sama langsung!
Well those are few arabic I learned so far I am here. What a waste kan? Believe me, I am also disappointed with myself at the rate I am learning. Anyhow, at least if i get lost here I think I could at least beg for some food.
Well thats enough word for the day.

Anyway, what so big deal about eating here? The short answer is thats all I look forward to here. The work here are just bonus haha.

Malaysians in general ( I believe I am right and not being stereotyping) are particular about what they eat. Hey, even the Prime Minister asked question relating to makan while the angkasawan was up there some where.

Being away from family and homeland, myself and the rest of Malaysian expats here would tend to find our own routine that could take away the forlorn feeling during this 60 days isolation. We do bog ourselves with work, but thats only between 8 to 5 so what do we do in between? Eat and sleep. Consider fishing and swimming bonus lah. The life basics left are eat and sleep. Well, question is how long can one sleep? Answer varies but result are same, sheer boredom!

So, eating is one way that we keep ourselves sane. It goes from just enjoying the food prepared by others or take charge in the kitchen preparing some special food to share with others. One can rest assure that all food made sedap or not will never go to waste.

I think learning how to cook is one way of not wasting my time here while enjoying the company of friends. At least, If I dont get a better job after this with an 'international experience' on my resume, I would be able to cook for my family when I'm back home. Kan? Maybe kot.

Anyhow, I remember my teacher said if you dont take notes of what you learn you probably forget about it the minute you stepped out the class room. Taking her advise, I am writing down here Pau Resepi I learned.

The Pau that we made can be rated OK lah. There are a few critics from the usual suspect but hey, u cant satisfy everyone. Most important is I learned to make them. Kudos to sifu pau, u know who you are.

Well here goes

PAU

Ingredients :
2 cups of flour (use high protein flour)
3 tblspn sugar
3 tblspn milk powder
1 tblspn Planta
1 tblspn oil
1 egg
1 teaspn salt
1 teaspn dry yeast
¾ cup of water

Filling: Meat curry and sweet potato
Sweet potato diced
Meat small cut
Curry powder
Cinnamon
Clove
Onion
Garlic
Salt

Filling: Cook like curry until gravy dries. Like pic below
Method :

1. Sift flour
2. Add in yeast, sugar, milk powder, salt, egg, planta and mix well.
3. While kneading pour in water, a little at a time till well incorporated then add in the oil
4. Continue kneading till smooth and soft dough is formed. Make sure dough is clean i.e. not sticking to the mixing bowl Add more water or oil if needed.
5. Leave dough over night
Dont be alarm if it look like this. Its the effect from the yeast. So punch down and release all air till it look like this.
5. Make into small balls
6. Flatten and put the filling in the middle. Cover the filling with the dough and place the ball on a piece of small paper
Make sure the filling are not wet or too much making it hard to cover with dough
If tak jadi, maka jadi lah macam pizza di bawah... hehehe my first try7. Leave the dough to rest and rise for short while (10 minutes or so)
8. Get the steamer ready and steam the pau until cook.
Dah siap!!
That morning, we had pau daging and nasi goreng kampung...bliss!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seronok betul korang ni ye...tiap2 hari main masak2 jer...
PPA tahun ni gerenti 3 punyer...
-arznel-

Dian said...

No wonder Nizam came home and opened a bakery.

Cempodot said...

yami!! dap nyer!! bertuahnya you dian. pas ni orang lain la masuk dapur ek?

aripsa said...

arznel, apa nak buat, rezeki.. 3 pon ok apa..

yang, nizam already had a bakery when he arrived here in port sudan. his our mentor

lina, kita masak pon, mana sama air tangan isteri hehehe