Monday, November 12, 2007

Luk-luk wal marjan

The much hyped Arous coined the jewel of the red sea 50km north of Port Sudan did not disappoint 14 odd Malaysian last Friday. Some of us woke up early to organise for the day including preparation of food. I volunteered to menebar roti canai. The dalca gravy was prepared earlier and our Macha prepared mihun mamak to have for picnic. Kendi kerajaan Langit Ayah Pin found here in Port Sudan. No wonder the police are baffled by his "disappearance". Or are the police too busy catching innocence civilian campaigning for free and fair election?

The road
The journey took almost 2 hours thru back alleys and winding roads as our guide only remembered the route he took several months ago. Since the rest of the groups never set foot there, we have to oblige with the guide’s antics. Few fuss and complaints were heard but our irritation simply vanishes once we reach our blue coral sea destination. I forgot if I did ever thank my guide for bringing me to the place. Thanks Mad B!

Blue wonder scenary An eagle disturbed by our presence

The beach
The sight of the white sandy beach and azure blue sea was just remarkable. The guys who brought their camera were already snapping away and few were seen picking up seashells strewn about the sea side. Unfortunately, the first spot we arrived did not have a suitable shelter for a comfortable picnic. After a few inquiries with the locals, we decided to drive a little further to the private beach dotted with colorful painted chalet. However, to access the place, we had to pay 20 Sudanese Guinea (USD10) as entrance fee. Rather exorbitant for a small hut and toilet services minus the water. But we all happily paid.

The Arous Resort. White sandy beaches

The sea
Once we reach the hut, while some were busy unpacking the food stuff, I already hit the water and went for snorkeling. I hated myself for not having an underwater camera with me as the corals and the “Toshiba” fishes that greeted me were simply beautiful.

After a short break and grabbing a bite, I joined some of my friend exploring the sea. We found a spot that had a wonderful coral at the edge of the reef that bordered into an abyss of dark blue water where fishes were big and colorful. The underwater scenery was so beautiful, words fail me.

God is great! From the sea he brought forth Luk-Luk wal Marjan. Which word can we deny? (Ar-Rahman)

Above, the rolling waves were quite strong trashing the unskilled swimmer me about causing panic that I had to abandon my adventure when I found myself left alone. Hehehe… penakut! Anyway, I think I saw almost all the fishes featured in Nemo including a few stingrays.

The oyster
Our fisherman club were already waist deep in the water trying their luck by the time I returned to the beach for some more munchies. Not satisfied snorkeling, myself and a the other few who didn’t bring their fishing rods along decided to look for oysters spotted on the coral reefs. The colors and sizes of the oysters caught our fancy that between us we harvested almost 30 of them big ones . That night after diner we had oyster and so was the next day maggi oyster and again more oysters for supper the following night. Too bad none of the Bapaks could put to any good use the extravagant treat of aphrodisiac! Hehehe..

The catchs Some more catchs Harvested from the sea. I felt bad for removing such colorful creature from their coral home, but still, Oysters are yummy!Aphrodisiac anyone?

All in all it was the most exciting day for me. The coral and sea off the beaches near the place I stayed could not rival Arous and nowhere even near it. Although for the next 40 days or so I had to settle for it but that’s just fine with me. InsyaAllah, maybe next time we would plan again for another trip there, but that time I hope I am prepared with snorkeling gears and most importantly a waterproof camera!

2 comments:

Dian said...

Mak oi, besarnya oyster! Are you sure they're not baby giant clams instead? I can't take raw oysters though, but I love them grilled, baked or made into O-chien.

Cempodot said...

Wow! Besaqnya oyster... and i tot the ones i had kat Jogoya Restaurant were already the biggest I'd ever seen. I love mine really fresh & raw with a bit of lemon or tabasco.