Saturday, September 01, 2007

Merdeka?

There's a refreshing and noteworthy article about Merdeka on Zaharuddin.net. It offers a new perspective on how we could move forward within the spirits of Independence, physically and mentally. Not the usual tone from your local politician on the same topic.

How did i isi my kemerdekaan yesterday? Well, i was busy chatting away after some bowls of mihun sup when the clock +3 GMT ticked pass midnight. In fact when it was 7PM local time or 12am some 8000km away where over 24Millions were busy chanting the top of their lungs "Merdeka! 3x" , I was busy stuffing my face with some rice for diner. Yes thats right. Even though we proudly equate ourselves as prisoner of Port Sudan Guantanamo Bay we still enjoy the luxury of 6 meals a day. Hahaha. So that was Merdeka night for me.

In the morning I woke up earlier than usual, prayed Subuh and afterward armed myself with "tombak" to catch some pari with Ripin the Sting-ray slayer. But, alas, the spirit of Merdeka has infected our prey that they were ready for us. They showed themselves in number that morning but we have nothing to proof. After 2-1/2 hours walking in the shallow water on the beach, we return empty handed and empty stomach.

I remembered, when I was a teenage, I used to spent the Merdeka night out with my friends. Somehow I managed to get my dad's approval to go out till late and cycle all the way to the Dataran in front of Masjid Zahir, the usual location for Merdeka celebration. After the count down me and my friends all when to lepak at the Abang Nasi Tomato stall or Nasi Lemak Royale stall for some late supper, exchanging jokes and spending our abnormal "Independence" i.e. outside of the house at 2 am. Those late night escapades are very rare those days even for teenage boys like me. Jahat la tu konon..although usually I would be the first to excuse myself after being more than 2 hours too late from my promised deadline "be home by 1 am".

Those days, that freedom mean much to my Independence. Who would have though that 15 years later, I would be locked up in Guantanamo Bay, Sudan. Well fed and well paid..hehehe.

No comments: