Thursday, December 06, 2007

Roti Canai ..Again

I promised this will be the last post on roti canai. Obsessed lah I ni! Hah. Well, my motto is practice makes perfect. But no matter how many time i practice, (3 times jer baru..) I'm never able to quite make a decent roti canai. This time my mistake is in making the dough balls to big!. Yes, too big! Thats a complaint or polite critic depend on how you would take the feedback from others.
Well, honestly I found Mizang's critics were valid since he was the "Master Menebar" and I could see that my dough just doesn't smoothly expands during the tossing motion like it should. Furthermore, a big ball of dough makes a thick roti canai and its not as nice lah. So I accept that I still have room for improvements but don't count me out yet from serving morning roti canai... for now..

Here's how the pro do it..tossing or menebar.. If u fail here, don't expect a good roti canai lah..

Another aspect of making roti canai I learned yesterday is u could do without margarine or oil in the ingredient of making the dough like I did previously here. At least, I think it would make a healthier roti canai. Unless u can do without the ghee to coat the balls overnight and oil to fry the it, roti canai wont be such a healthy dish after all as u would expect. Infact, it may not be roti canai at all.
Still, there is no harm to try substitute cow's ghee with vegetable ghee or cooking oil with olive oil and try bring down the 'fatty' level attributed to roti canai. But then, if u wish to sell his roti canai, don't take my word lah. This recipe is strictly for love ones only. But if your loved ones are sweat junkies or jog 5km everyday, why bother.
Anyway, the ingredient for the dough i tried yesterday with guidance from Mad Bee is as follows:

1kg multipurpose flour
1 tblspn of sugar
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1 level tblspn of salt, dissolved in one cup of water
1/2 cup of water

Mixed 'em all up. Add water (the 1/2 cup) sparingly while kneading. Knead until clean. Leave it to rest for an hour. Make into balls 20-24. Coat in ghee, leave it over night. Start tossing the next day and fry with oil on pan.

I made 14-1/2 balls yesterday..so u can imagine the size of my balls... err roti canai I mean.

1 comment:

Sarah Sirhannah said...

Lu buat ke ni arip?